History: The Church of St. Margaret, Lakeside, SD. St. Margaret's Catholic Church was built in Owanka, SD and dedicated in the fall of 1923. Prior to that time the community was served by Rev. McCarthy from New Underwood and Rev. Connolly from Wall. On May 5, 1919 Rev. Connolly purchased two lots from the North Western Railroad in the town of Owanka, with the assistance of Joseph Pivny, at the cost of $75.
In the early days of the community Mass was celebrated in a room on the H.G. Ungs farm, two miles north of Owanka. The room where Mass was celebrated was called St. Joseph's Chapel. Services continued to be held at the Ungs farm from January 1921 through October 1922.
In 1921 Rev. Joseph O'Rourke was appointed pastor of the parish. Under his guidance the foundation of the church was started on November 3, 1921. The church measured 20 X 30 feet. The carpenter was Joseph Stamling of Owanka who was assisted by parish volunteers. Plaster work on the church was done by H.M. Johnson. The Church was completed on October 21, 1922 and dedicated by the Most Rev. John J. Lawler, Bishop of the Diocese of Lead. At the time of the dedication the Sacrament of Confirmation was administered with 15 people being confirmed. Construction cost for the church was $1,429.69. The altar and stations of the cross were donated through the Catholic Church Extension Society of America and the organ was donated by Mrs. H.G. Ungs. Altar lace was crocheted by Mrs. N. Andre. Pews for the church were purchased by Mr. N. Keffeler of Sturgis at the cost of $111.06. Nick Andre and N.J. Codlung were appointed the first trustees of the parish.
In December of 1948 the church was raised up on blocks and moved to the Lakeside community where it is presently located. The blizzard of 1949 prevented the moving until spring. The first Mass was celebrated at Lakeside in May 1949. The Lakeside community had been served as a mission of St. John's Parish in New Underwood until 2005, when it became a mission of St. Patrick's Parish in Wall.
In the mid 1960's the Church was re-modeled with the ceiling lowered and electricity and propane heat added. In 1983 the pews from St. Joseph's Church in Scenic, SD were moved to Lakeside. The parishioners stripped and refinished them. At the same time the sacristy was re-modeled and general repairs made. Audrey Wieser, chairman of St. Margaret's Circle, organized the repairs. Clarence Wieser did the carpentry work. All members of the community worked very hard and took great pride in their church. Charles Berry and Floyd Anderson of St. John's rebuilt the original altar. On May 14, 1983 Bishop Dimmerling came to Lakeside to bless the work done, and on behalf of the People of the Diocese, present the Bishop's Award to the community for their outstanding commitment and service to the Church. In February of 1991 new siding was added to the Church through the efforts of all in the parish. This was partially funded by the Tom Smith memorial. On October 10, 1999 the Parish Community of St. Margaret's celebrated 50 years at this location with an outdoor Mass and Pot Luck dinner following, attended by many past members of the parish as well as people from nearby communities.